The federal government is being sued by a coalition of unions and advocacy groups seeking to block a rule that will limit how long foreign students and journalists can remain in the United States without applying for extensions.
The new rule from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) creates a fixed time period for F visas for international students, J visas that allow visitors on cultural exchange programs to work in the United States, and I visas for members of the media. Those visas are currently available for the duration of the program or employment in the United States.
Last month, DHS said it was removing what it called a loophole that allowed foreign media representatives, students, and exchange visitors to stay in the United States “indefinitely without routine government oversight.”
“For decades, foreign students have been admitted into the U.S. indefinitely, allowing thousands to abuse our immigration system by perpetually enrolling in courses to avoid having to leave the U.S.,” DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin said in a July 16 statement.
Under the new regulations, set to take effect on Sept. 15, student and exchange visa periods would be no longer than four years. Visa stays for journalists, which currently can last for years, would be limited to 240 days or, for Chinese nationals, 90 days.
In the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts on Aug. 18, the groups said the changes would be “catastrophic” for universities, international students, and scholars.
“They will discourage foreign students and other nonimmigrants from coming to the United States, repelled by the intolerable prospect of losing lawful immigration status partway through their studies,” the groups said in the complaint.
“Students will lose opportunities, schools will lose talent, and the public will lose billions of dollars of economic contributions supported by one of the United States’ top exports: education.”
Changes ‘Will Disrupt Educational Pathways’
The Presidents’ Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit.
Its president and CEO, Miriam Feldblum, said in a statement that the changes would upend a longstanding framework that allows international students to study in the United States lawfully.

Other plaintiffs include NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts, the American Federation of Teachers, the Graduate Labor Organization, AFT Local 6516, The NewsGuild-CWA, the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, and United Auto Workers Local 2322.
Jon Schleuss, president of The NewsGuild-CWA, said the rule change to the media visa was an attempt “to chill reporting done by talented journalists.”
“Our democracy depends on journalism and journalism dependents [sic] on journalists of all stripes,” Schleuss said in a statement. “We are proud to stand with other partners and fight these illegal rule changes intended to weaken our democracy.”

“If the media really cared about legitimate international students, they would be thanking President Trump for cracking down on the rampant fraud to ensure only those truly intending to study in the United States are given the privilege,” the spokesperson said.
Reuters contributed to this report.






















