Canada to Start Retaliatory Tariffs on US Goods Beginning Sept. 8

By Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp is an Emmy® Award-winning journalist based in Nashville. She previously worked at The New York Post, Fox News Channel and has written a series of Off-Broadway musicals in NYC. Contact her at jacki.thrapp@epochtimes.us
August 22, 2026Updated: August 22, 2026

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced on Saturday that retaliatory tariffs on U.S. goods will take effect on Sept. 8.

“Let me be clear: We take this step reluctantly, reluctantly because we recognize that some of these measures will raise costs and reduce choice for Canadians,” Carney said during a press conference on Aug. 22.

The retaliatory tariffs were announced less than 24 hours after the United States imposed 50 percent tariffs on certain goods made in Canada, following the failure to reach a trade deal.

Carney said that by “rejecting a bad deal,” he remains confident that this path forward is in the “best interest of Canada.”

Both nations blamed the other for new demands that upended the talks.

Carney alleged that in the hours before the trade deal collapsed, the United States attempted to “restrict our ability to have other trade deals.”

“We’re the partner of choice, in many respects, for countries around the world, and the Americans wanted to restrict that,” Carney said. “They had language that they wanted to restrict. Unacceptable.”

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer accused Canada on Aug. 21 of making “new demands and walk-backs of other commitments” before the collapse.

This is a developing story and will be updated.