Trump Says Ballroom Construction Is ‘Under Budget, and Ahead of Schedule’

By Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp
Jacki Thrapp is an Emmy® Award-winning journalist based in Nashville. She previously worked at The New York Post, Fox News Channel and has written a series of Off-Broadway musicals in NYC. Contact her at jacki.thrapp@epochtimes.us
August 23, 2026Updated: August 23, 2026

President Donald Trump said his White House ballroom is “under budget, and ahead of schedule” on Aug. 22.

“Tremendous work has been done on the magnificent BALLROOM/MILITARY COMPLEX being built on the grounds of the White House!” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post on Saturday.

The president’s progress update came less than a day after the Supreme Court allowed the Trump administration to continue construction.

The administrative stay, issued by Chief Justice John Roberts on Aug. 21, will give the justices additional time to consider Trump’s request to continue working amid a lawsuit seeking to stop the project.

“Presidents have wanted this for 150 years, and so has everyone else. It will give the White House, and all of D.C., Great National Security,” Trump said. “The Ballroom will be paid for with ZERO Dollars of Taxpayer Money. Great American Patriots and Companies are footing the entire bill.”

Those who donated to the $400 million ballroom, which required demolishing the East Wing, include Amazon, Apple, Google, Caterpillar Inc., HP Inc., Lockheed Martin, Meta Platforms, Microsoft, Palantir Technologies, and the Union Pacific Railroad.

Trump’s vision for the 90,000-square-foot ballroom also changed direction when the Pentagon proposed building a military complex.

The complex will be underground with five stories, but the president has not shared many details due to security concerns.

The ballroom is part of a series of changes Trump is making to the White House during his second term.

Trump Says He'll Appeal White House Ballroom Ruling At Supreme Court
Construction continues on a new helipad on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington on Aug. 10, 2026. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Trump Shows White House Press Corps The Continuing Ballroom Construction
President Donald Trump speaks to the media alongside posters of his proposed White House ballroom amid construction at the White House in Washington on May 19, 2026. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Additional changes include adding a new helipad and driveway, changing the grass on the South Lawn, and making renovations to the White House facade, which the president said was in “very bad shape.”

The project has received scrutiny, especially from Democrats in Congress, who accuse the Trump administration of violating the Constitution and federal law.

House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries and 32 other members of Congress filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court this week, claiming that the White House should not have demolished the East Wing and started construction on the ballroom because it was never authorized by Congress.

“Amici curiae are Members of Congress who understand that the Constitution empowers Congress—not the President—to control federal property, including determining whether (and how) parts of the White House should be demolished or constructed,” the brief stated.

The Trump administration wants to have the ballroom completed in 2028, with the project being done before his second presidential term ends.

Emel Akan, Matthew Vadum, and Reuters contributed to this report.